Delta Fined 50 000 for Ordering Muslim Passengers Off Planes Despite Their Clearance to Fly

Delta Fined 50 000 for Ordering Muslim Passengers Off Planes Despite Their Clearance to Fly

Delta Air Lines is facing a major fine for discriminating against its passengers, according to the U.S. Department of Transportation.

In a consent order released on Friday, the airline was fined $50,000 in violation of anti-bias laws after removing three Muslim passengers from their respective flights in 2016. The federal department also ordered Delta to provide cultural-sensitivity training to all cabin crew members and customer service staff involved in the cases.

As cited in the document, a Muslim couple were removed from their flight from Paris, France to Cincinnati, Ohio on July 26, 2016 when another passenger made a complaint about the man and the woman — who was wearing a head scarf at the time. The document said the passenger told Delta staff that the couple was “fidgety, nervous, and sweating” and the man had “inserted something plastic into his watch,” making her “very uncomfortable and nervous.”

A cabin crew member also claimed she saw the man using the word “Allah” several times in a text when she walked through the cabin, the document said. Another flight attendant alleged that the man changed his phone screen when she passed in the cabin.

RELATED: 12-Year-Old Squash Player Forced to Remove Hijab Before Boarding Air Canada Flight with Team

Though Delta’s own corporate security concluded that they were U.S. citizens, raised “no red flags” and were cleared to fly after interviewing the man and the woman off the aircraft, the captain refused to let them re-board the plane, according to the consent order. The couple was rebooked to a flight on the following day.

According to the U.S. Department of Transportation, the captain “failed to follow Delta’s required security protocol” prior to removing the couple and that it appeared the man and the woman would have been allowed to fly if not for their “perceived religion.”

The department also cited an incident that occurred July 31, 2016 as an example of discriminatory conduct in the consent order.

In that case, a Muslim man was removed from his flight from Amsterdam to New York after passengers and flight attendants complained to the captain about his behavior, according to the document. Passengers alleged they saw the man speaking “with a pers

Read more: https://people.com/travel/delta-fined-for-ordering-muslim-passengers-off-planes-despite-clearance-to-fly/

Vanessa Hudgens and Kyle Kuzma Are ‘Having Fun But ‘Taking Things Slow’ After Her Split Source

Vanessa Hudgens and Kyle Kuzma Are ‘Having Fun But ‘Taking Things Slow’ After Her Split Source

Vanessa Hudgens and Kyle Kuzma are enjoying getting to know each other!

A source tells PEOPLE, “They’re seeing each other, but taking things slow and just having fun at this stage.”

A rep for Hudgens did not immediately respond to PEOPLE’s request for comment.

On Tuesday, Hudgens, 31, was photographed dining with Los Angeles Lakers player Kuzma, 24, at Lilia, a popular Italian restaurant in Brooklyn.

In photos obtained by TMZ, the two smiled over a bottle of wine.

The next night, Hudgens cheered on Kuzma at the Lakers’ game against the New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden.

Hudgens also stepped out to support Kuzma last week at his game against the Cleveland Cavaliers — and gave the power forward a shout-out in her caption on Instagram.

“Ugh @lakers @kingjames @kuz @dwighthoward my heroes,” she wrote.

She also commented on a recent photo Kuzma posted of himself that he captioned, “Yeaaaa we like thattttt,” to which Hudgens responded, “Ya we doooo.”

The budding romance comes on the heels of Hudgens’ split with her longtime boyfriend Austin Butler.

RELATED: Vanessa Hudgens Spotted with Lakers Star Kyle Kuzma After Austin Butler Split

PEOPLE confirmed on Jan. 14 that Hudgens and Butler had called it quits after over 8 years of dating. Their reps could not be reached for comment and neither has publicly addressed the news.

Fans first speculated about a breakup when neither Hudgens or Butler, 28, posted photos celebrating Christmas and New Year’s Eve together in 2019.

The pair had been long distance as they filmed projects in different countries. Hudgens has starred in a number of Netflix Christmas movies recently, shooting The Princess Switch: Switched Again in the U.K. in November 2019. And Butler will play Elvis Presley in an untitled biopic that’s currently in pre-production.

Though she has yet to publicly address the breakup, Hudgens has remained active on social media, documenting her fun-filled days on set and nights out in New York City — and even a new tattoo!

A different source told PEOPLE that the actress has “been spending a lot of time with her mom and sister and her girlfriends.”

RELATED: Vanessa Hudgens Shows Off New Sunflow

Read more: https://people.com/tv/vanessa-hudgens-kyle-kuzma-having-fun-taking-things-slow/

Channing Tatum Makes It Instagram Official with Jessie J Again We Gonna Get It in

Channing Tatum Makes It Instagram Official with Jessie J Again We Gonna Get It in

They’re Instagram official again!

Channing Tatum and Jessie J have taken their relationship back to social media one day after PEOPLE confirmed the couple had gotten back together.

The Magic Mike star, 39, shared a photo with Jessie on Friday.

“Gonna watch this unicorn sang tonight. Then we gonna get it in! Horns out!” Tatum wrote in the caption for the snap, in which they both wear unicorn hats while Jessie, 31, gives Tatum a smooch on the cheek.

The duo reunited after about a month apart, a source told PEOPLE on Thursday.

A source told E! News that some time apart allowed them to realize how much they care about one another.

“They took a few weeks apart but ultimately decided they really care about each other,” the source told the outlet.

View this post on Instagram

Gonna watch this unicorn sang tonight. Then we gonna get it in! Horns out!

A post shared by Channing Tatum (@channingtatum) on Jan 24, 2020 at 5:32pm PST

//www.instagram.com/embed.js

RELATED: Channing Tatum and Jessie J Are Back Together After Month-Long Breakup: Source

Earlier this month, Jessie spent some time with Tatum and his daughter Everly, 6, whom he shares with ex-wife Jenna Dewan, a source said.

“They seem very happy together,” the source said. “They are obviously great friends, but it’s not clear if they are back together.”

The duo were first linked in October 2018, but ended up splitting a little over a year later, PEOPLE confirmed in December 2019.

“There wasn’t any drama. They just decided to part ways and are still good friends,” a source told PEOPLE at the time.

“Channing and Jessie have different priorities and focuses that don’t really align,” another source added. “They had a fun relationship, but it just didn’t work out. Channing needs to be in LA a lot so he can spend time with Everly. Jessie prefers England. They are still friendly though.”

RELATED: Jessie J Spends Time with Channing Tatum and His Daughter After Split: ‘They Seem Very Happy,’ Says Source

PEOPLE confirmed that Tatum and Jessie were an item after they were spotted on a mini-golf date in October 2018, about six months after the actor’s split from Dewan. The former

Read more: https://people.com/movies/channing-tatum-jessie-instagram-official-again/

Vicki Gunvalson Says Shes Quitting Real Housewives of Orange County I Will Always Be the OG

Vicki Gunvalson Says Shes Quitting Real Housewives of Orange County I Will Always Be the OG

The “OG of the OC” is saying goodbye.

On Friday, Vicki Gunvalson revealed in a heartwarming post on Instagram she’s departing The Real Housewives of Orange County after 14 years.

“I will always be the OG of the OC, but it’s time to say goodbye to The Real Housewives of Orange County,” the 57-year-old Coto insurance saleswoman wrote, before referencing her famous party catchphrase. “It’s been an incredible ride for 14 years and I want to thank all of you for your support, for your love and for ‘whooping it up!'”

Gunvalson went on to share that she’s embarking on a new chapter filled with “new projects that will be exciting, empowering and inspirational.”

“My podcast with Westwood One will be launching soon and I will have much more to say about this on Whoop It Up with Vicki,” she wrote. “I hope you will join me with my new journey so please stay tuned.”

She concluded the post by thanking her fans, as well as RHOC‘s network and production company.

“I love all my fans, and I want to thank Bravo and Evolution for this incredible experience, which my family and I have will never forget,” she wrote.

RELATED: The 13 Most Influential Real Housewives Who’ve Said They’ve Quit the Show

View this post on Instagram

I will always be the OG of the OC, but it’s time to say goodbye to The Real Housewives of Orange County. It’s been an incredible ride for 14 years and I want thank all of you for your support, for your love and for “whooping it up” with me along the way. I’ve been working on new projects that will be exciting, empowering and inspirational. My podcast with Westwood One will be launching soon and I will have much more to say about this on “Whoop it up with Vicki” . I hope you will join me with my new journey so please stay tuned. I love all my fans, and I want to thank Bravo and Evolution for this incredible experience which my family and I have will never forget. #bravo #rhoc #whoopitipwithvicki @westwoodone @bravo @whoopitupwithvicki

A post shared by Vicki Gunvalson (@vickigunvalson) on Jan 24, 2020 at 4:51pm PST

//www.instagram.com/embed.js

RELATED: Vicki Gunvalson Is ‘Going to Get’ Brooks Ayers in Lawsuit, Calls His Wife ‘Another Sugar Momma’

A

Read more: https://people.com/tv/vicki-gunvalson-quitting-real-housewives-of-orange-county/

National Weather

Click on map for forecast

The Opinion Poll

advertisement